Monday, October 3, 2011

Stuck In Neutral By Terry Trueman

1.  Bibliography
Trueman. Terry,  2000.  STUCK IN NEUTRAL.  New York:  Harper Tempest.  ISBN 9780064472135

2.  Plot Summary
Shawn McDaniel is a fourteen year old boy and no one knows what his life is really like.  When he was born a blood vessel burst in his head and now he has Cerebral Palsy.  He can not move any of the muscles in his body.  "I've heard why the docs think I'm so stupid to my parents and my parents explain it to their friends about a trillion times.  They don't know that is only partially true" (5).  Shawn's father can't handle his sons condition and he leaves his family.  "He used to see me having seizures, hold me while I spazzed out, twisted up, jerked all around, and screamed.  I remember when I was about four years old, in the month or so before he left our family, I'd see his face after I'd come back from a seizure and he'd be holding me and his eyes would be so sad-looking" (23).  But lately Shawn's worried that his Dad may want to kill him.  "Dad wants to kill me to save me from suffering" (26).  How can he make his family realize that inside he is alive?

3.  Critical Analysis
The setting of the story takes place in the rainy city of Seattle, Washington.  The main character of the story is Shawn.  The other characters in the story are introduced by the main character, since the story is told from his point of view.  "I'm the youngest kid in our family, three years younger than my sister, Cindy, and two years younger than my brother, Paul, who although I'd hate for them to know I admitted it, are pretty cool for a brother and a sister" (2).  The style with which he tells the story is humorous and serious.  The author lightens the tone of the book with Shawn's humor.  "I'd sit there looking retarded and Cindy would play Special Education Teacher of the year" (8).  The story could be really sad due to Shawn's predicament, but the way he tells the story lightens the mood.  The reader is able to know that even though he can't move a muscle he is still happy to be alive.  Shawn's life is different from the norm, but he is still enjoying every moment he has.  The plot of the book is self vs. self.  On the inside he a smart young man who wants to learn about the world, but on the outside he can't move a muscle.  He has to learn how to understand himself.  The theme of the book is importance of love.  "I don't like to feel sorry for myself, but I'm aware of the trouble my condition has put on my family, and I can't help but feel sorry for them" (11).  No matter what is happening in the story the main character always loves his family; even though they don't understand him and know what is going on in his mind.  "My mom, Lindy, still talks to me as if I were a newborn baby or an idiot" (11).  When his Dad talks about ending his own son's life Shawn still loves him. This is a heartwarming story with humor with a new perspective of people who can't communicate with the outside world.

4.  Review Excerpts
A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
ALA Best Book for Young Adults
ALA Quick Pick For Reluctant Young Adult Readers
ALA Booklist Books for Youth Editor's Choice
ALA Booklist Top 10 Youth First Novels
Parent's Guide to Children's Media Outstanding Achievement in
PUBLISHER WEEKLY:  "The strength of the novel lies in the father-son dynamic; the delicate scenes between them carefully illustrate their mutual quest to understand each other. The other characters (Shawn's brother and sister, mother, teachers) lack this complexity. As a result, many of the scenes feel more contrived than heartfelt ("I always feel so guilty complaining about it at all!" says his sister). All in all, the book's concepts are more compelling than the story line itself."

5.  Connections
Other books about people with disabilities:
Koertge, Ronald.  NOW PLAYING:  STONER & SPAZ II.  ISBN 9780763650810
Mooney, Jonathan.  THE SHORT BUS:  A JOURNEY BEYOND NORMAL.  ISBN 0805088045
Sachar, Louis.  SMALL STEPS.  ISBN 0385733143 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment